“Whether or not God has kissed your brow, you still have to work. Without learning and preparation, you won’t know how to harness the power of that kiss.”

Twyla Tharp

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Now and Zen Shirts

Sewing Workshop has the most wonderful patterns. They are just different enough to resemble something from a boutique rather than your usual department store.

This one is from the Now and Zen Shirts and is a breeze to make. I love the high, asymmetrical collar (detail below). They have the nicest construction with french seams and a rolled collar that ends up looking on the inside much like a tailored man's shirt. They even recommend making oak tag rulers in 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" to use when making your folds/hem so you get real precision. When you're finished the inside is almost as good looking as the outside! There is no interfacing or facings -- just the 4 pattern pieces. It can easily be worked up in an afternoon. This one is in a very tightly woven pale pink cotton. I like my tops to sit more on the hip so I extended the pattern by about two inches.

I had hoped to make a dressier one in a very sheer sea foam, but alas I am struggling with the cloth which is distorting every time my iron looks at it! I may need to give up on that version, at least for today and set my sites on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment