Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Creativity in Technology

Last night when I couldn't sleep, I was frustrated that I haven't done any creating in a while. Work and everything I need to keep up with has been in the way, or at least I've made that my excuse. But, in fairness, I did see some beautiful things at convention that I want to share with you. The first is my favorite -- a boiled wool jacket embroidered on a machine and embellished with matching yarn. The software is from Viking and, while whoever created this is probably a master at machine embroidery, it does show what is possible with technology and a good mind.



The second piece is, I think, also beautiful. It is also Husqvarna Viking software and is cutwork done with cutwork needles, which cut away the fabric as they sew. Some lovely work can be done with this.


The third piece is crochet done with machine embroidery and cotton thread. Granted, it may not give a true crocheter the satisfaction that handwork does, but it is interesting.



Lastly, something I think would be beautiful in home dec -- also cutwork, but quite modern and with a great deal of texture.



So, there is something to be said for technology. It doesn't come easily to me and I know that if I want to use it, I need to persevere and get through the learning curve -- first comes science, then comes art. There is a place for everything. One just needs to decide how much of it, if anything, they want to incorporate into their craft. It is tedious for those of us who are used to a different way of sewing, but some one of a kind work can be done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment