“Whether or not God has kissed your brow, you still have to work. Without learning and preparation, you won’t know how to harness the power of that kiss.”

Twyla Tharp

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Loes Hinse - Two Ways

It has been so hot this summer and I have so few sleeveless tops, that I needed to do something about it. I've had Loes Hinse Sweater Set pattern for a long time now and I had this beautiful rose jersey material. I've not worked with jersey before -- just keep putting it off -- partly because I'm not yet comfortable with my serger. But I bit the bullet. I like the pattern a lot. There is a front seam which makes the V neck a breeze to do. It also falls nicely, cut in a bit at the top which is more flattering to the shoulders but falling at a bit of an a line through the hip. I found it easy to work on and was pretty happy with my first result.


I liked the fit well enough that I wondered what it would be like with a woven. So, I redrafted the pattern so it opened in the back (The back was cut on the fold, so I simply redrew the back pattern piece onto pattern paper, and added adding 2 inches (1/2 inch to turn and clean finish, and another 1 1/2 so there would be a nice wide fold to do the buttons and buttonholes in).

I've had this crinkly fabric for a while now, but only very narrow remnants that were given to me by a friend who worked for a designer. So, by cutting each side individually I was able to eke out the top. I decided the fabric called for a funkier, more casual look, so instead of folding over and hemming the V, sleeves, and hem, I did a rolled hem on my serger and was fairly happy with the result. I perhaps wasn't as careful as I should have been -- when I do something new, I tend to hurry so I can see the result and then do my second piece more carefully. Very bad habit, I know.


I really liked the look. The back dips down more than the front, which I also liked. The buttons were part of my vintage stash and went well. So, since I had both the buttons and fabric already, the top was essentially free, which is a great way to experiment!!


Slan



3 comments:

  1. I love both of these tops-you look terrific in both the rose colored knit and the gray woven. I like the fact that the back hem of the woven dips a bit-it looks easy and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both tops look fabulous on you. You too look great in red ;) Clever use of remnants. Your tops look very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look really great, Fran. These tops, the accessories, so pulled together and chic.

    ReplyDelete