Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Loes Hinse - Two Ways

It has been so hot this summer and I have so few sleeveless tops, that I needed to do something about it. I've had Loes Hinse Sweater Set pattern for a long time now and I had this beautiful rose jersey material. I've not worked with jersey before -- just keep putting it off -- partly because I'm not yet comfortable with my serger. But I bit the bullet. I like the pattern a lot. There is a front seam which makes the V neck a breeze to do. It also falls nicely, cut in a bit at the top which is more flattering to the shoulders but falling at a bit of an a line through the hip. I found it easy to work on and was pretty happy with my first result.


I liked the fit well enough that I wondered what it would be like with a woven. So, I redrafted the pattern so it opened in the back (The back was cut on the fold, so I simply redrew the back pattern piece onto pattern paper, and added adding 2 inches (1/2 inch to turn and clean finish, and another 1 1/2 so there would be a nice wide fold to do the buttons and buttonholes in).

I've had this crinkly fabric for a while now, but only very narrow remnants that were given to me by a friend who worked for a designer. So, by cutting each side individually I was able to eke out the top. I decided the fabric called for a funkier, more casual look, so instead of folding over and hemming the V, sleeves, and hem, I did a rolled hem on my serger and was fairly happy with the result. I perhaps wasn't as careful as I should have been -- when I do something new, I tend to hurry so I can see the result and then do my second piece more carefully. Very bad habit, I know.


I really liked the look. The back dips down more than the front, which I also liked. The buttons were part of my vintage stash and went well. So, since I had both the buttons and fabric already, the top was essentially free, which is a great way to experiment!!


Slan



3 comments:

  1. I love both of these tops-you look terrific in both the rose colored knit and the gray woven. I like the fact that the back hem of the woven dips a bit-it looks easy and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both tops look fabulous on you. You too look great in red ;) Clever use of remnants. Your tops look very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look really great, Fran. These tops, the accessories, so pulled together and chic.

    ReplyDelete