Wednesday, July 17, 2013

New Dress By Marci Tilton

It is hot in New England!  I think almost every day in July has been well over 90 degrees which is very unusual for New Hampshire.  And, I really needed clothes that can withstand the heat. (I feel like I am always sewing in the wrong season and that I need to learn to sew ahead.  It may be time to abandon summer sewing and think about that Fall wardrobe!) I've seen several reviews of Vogue 8876 by Marci Tilton and decided to give it a try with some lemon/lime cotton embossed with white threaded designs.  Most of the reviews I read said that it ran very large so I made a size 10 right out of the envelope and was happy with the result.  This is one or two sizes smaller than I would normally cut. 







It has some nice visual interest with a curvy front panel, inverted pleats in the front, pockets, box pleat in the back, a very wide band at the hem, and a stand up collar.  HMM - busy!  It was easy to put together and you can't ask for anything cooler.  It's nice and fitted through the shoulders and bust so you don't look too matronly and yet it stands away from your body on those days when you just can't stand to have any fabric too close. The collar calls for a ribbon to be threaded through it to gather it up a bit, but I just haven't found something I like yet.  I may just opt to make a fabric tie and call it done. As I look at the pictures, it appears to me as if the back is skewed, but don't be put off, I've pulled to box pleat off the the sides with my hands in the pockets.  For those who are not as short as I am (5' 2") you may want to be careful of the length.  I did not adjust the length at all and it came to my knee.  This is very unusual for me.  Normally, I would have to adjust the length by at least a couple of inches. 


 



I've not abandoned my dress for my DD's shower.  My pima cotton came in for the underlining but I really thought it was not quite fine enough and opted instead for batiste.  I hope to get it cut out today.

Slan

11 comments:

  1. Fran, that is adorable on you! I love the light green color and the very flattering stand up collar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I am just going to have to get started on this one, the pattern has been sitting there staring at me for some time now, and this just might be the motivation I need - very nice, and it looks great on you!....Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is stunning and looks so cool too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this on you, Fran! What is happening with our weather? Hot in NH and rain, rain, rain in GA! You have inspired me to make this again, only this time sleeveless like yours. I did find it to be a bit short for me at 5'5". Great job, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. It was your dress that originally inspired me -- it just took me forever to get to it!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful fresh colour on you. I also have the pattern in my pile, and being winter here maybe I should plan ahead and make it up...soon...J

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh! I love yours. I've just got to make mine after I finish sewing for others.The colour is so fresh looking and thank you for the advice to cut smaller.You look cool and sweet in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely in every way! Great choice of fabric and color, you look really pretty and fresh. Thanks for the cutting advice and photos - I'd given up any idea of making this even though I have the pattern. I'm 5'2" and you are a perfect model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so nice on you-the color and the light fabric make the dress look so cool and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO cute on you! The color is very flattering with your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I had forgotten I had seen this before!! So I commented twice. ;)

    ReplyDelete