I had made a muslin for my daughter in law for a short, mostly straight skirt, with a faced waistline. The fit was good but when she wanted pockets, I went in search for a skirt pattern with slash pockets and no waistband. I really didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel. I was surprised when I couldn't find a pattern exactly the way I wanted it. So, I began reading up on how to create this. I also needed to be careful not to interfere with the darts in the skirt front.
Here is my first pattern draft with the pocket drawn out in red.
- I started my pocket 2" in from the side seam and, as you will see later in this post, I think it was not in far enough. I ended the pocket about 6 inches down and then drew in a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
- Once the beginning point for the pocket is established on the waist, I drew out another line on the waist an additional 2 inches in for the top of the pocket to attach and be sewn in to the facing.
- From that point, I drew a line down about 7 inches and began to shape the pocket bag, connecting it to the side seam, making sure to leave enough of the pocket bag to sew into the seam allowance. And, I added plenty of notches to match everything up later.
Once this was drawn out, I placed more tracing paper on top to create the actual pattern piece with the pocket edge.
Hopefully, this all works out. I'll post more once the muslin has been fitted.