“Whether or not God has kissed your brow, you still have to work. Without learning and preparation, you won’t know how to harness the power of that kiss.”

Twyla Tharp

Sunday, January 3, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

A year ago, I had never heard of Pattern Review and had never seen a sewing blog! I found my way back to sewing last Spring, happened along Pattern Review which I joined on June 15 of 2009, and a whole new world opened up to me. I live in an area without huge access to good fabric and/or sewing professionals so I was in awe of so many people sewing such wonderful things! And, by reading reviews, I came across all of your sewing blogs, which just blew my mind. Thank you all for sharing your time and your talent with a newbie!

I've been like a kid in a candy shop, which has been fun, but sometimes overwhelming. I didn't know where to start. I've bought fabric, patterns, notions, driven 5 hours round trip for sewing classes. I don't feel like I've accomplished a lot and I hope that 2010 is the year when I really begin to hone some skills and find what works and what doesn't work for me.

I'd like in 2010 to have some discipline so I don't get lost in all the information out there. I want to see it all, but limit myself to browsing time and establish some real sewing time.

In all of this I have some personal goals to keep in mind what is truly important. Losing my oldest sister not too long ago has been sobering. I don't always remember it, but keeping close to those people who are truly important is what matters most...never letting them be sad, hurt, frustrated, tired, lonely, if you can help. I hope in 2010 never to hurt anyone with what I say or don't say; what I do or don't do. Here is to a good year to all of us -- a year of accomplishment and growth and peace.

2 comments:

  1. I joined PR a year ago now (almost) and I know how you feel. It is both wonderful and overwhelming. Since I've only been sewing for less than 2 years, I can say that it has helped tremendously.

    Here is to a good 2010 with accomplishments, growth, and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the sewing. I took a pattern making class over 30 years ago in NY. I still have some pattern maker's paper in stock. I hope to go back to sewing after I retire in a few years. For now I concentrate on art & poetry as my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete