Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Marcy Tilton 8934 for Vogue

I have wanted to make this Marcy Tilton raincoat for such a long time!  I love the shape -- sort of like a Japanese lantern.  It is fitted through the shoulders and then has some flare that is controlled at the bottom with a series of eight darts.  And, I have had the fabric that I wanted to use forever.  It's from Apple Annie Fabric and I have no idea what the composition is.  It's an embossed very light weight, almost plastic feeling fabric.  When I bought it I had no idea what I would use it for until I saw this pattern and decided they were made for each other. 


Because the fabric is so thin, and I knew I wanted to be able to wear the coat more than on a rainy summer day, I decided to line it with a flannel back lining -- this one is a beautiful lipstick red from Sawyer Brook.  It was so slippery that I had to use a dual feed foot to control it as I sewed.  The pattern has a hidden placket for the buttonholes. 


In between the front and the front band is a double row of rattail cord.  Because I didn't think the fabric would press well, I interfaced the collar and the front facings with black silk organza that I sewed in.

 

I think the coat runs large.  I cut a Small with no alterations.  When it was finished I did shorten the sleeve a bit.  So, for those of you who are taller than a mere 5'3" you may want to consider the length. 


Absolutely love the coat and would consider making it again in a very different fabric, perhaps including some of the design elements suggested in one of the other versions.  The directions were excellent and easy to follow.  

Slan


6 comments:

  1. Fran - I love this! You will enjoy this for a long time to come. Do you go to Sawyer Brook often? I hope to go there later this week, maybe Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! The shape is perfect and the red lining so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and the shape is great on your petiteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous coat! It looks just terrific on you and the red lining is such fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran,
    I've been trying to get my hands on this pattern, now out of print. I've searched the internet with no luck. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete