Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pillow Zippers!

We had our living furniture re-upholstered this winter. We searched and searched for new furniture and I finally realized that I loved everything about our current living room except that the fabric had worn out! So, we re-upholstered. I ordered extra yardage and finally got around to making beautiful toss pillows with elaborate trims out of the extra yardage - great! Not long after, my nephew finished redecorating his house and I told him I would do the pillows to match his black leather furniture -- nice aunt?!

Flash forward. We're driving home from Montreal and my husband asked me if I was going to make Peter's pillow covers removable, as ours are, so they can be dry cleaned. I said, of course. He then said very innocently that, while it was great that they can be cleaned, when people have been sitting on the couch and the pillows have been bounced around, they gap a bit in the back where the fabric overlaps!!! After fifteen minutes of stony silence, he asked 'did I hurt your feelings?'

Flash forward again -- time to tackle what I've put off far too long -- professional looking zippers in pillows. I came across the most awesome tutorial -- thank you Erin! Your description and your pictures are superb. And, I love your blog! And, Steve, I do both forgive you and thank you for prompting me to learn this technique. I know that was not your intention, but I am so glad I did. My pictures below -- zipper exposed -- zipper not exposed. Voila!


Eventually, for very formal pillows, I may need to break down and learn to insert invisible zippers right up against the cording. But, for these more casual ones, I really like the look of the zipper hidden in the 'pocket.' It's very tailored looking.

The finished pillows with more detail will actually follow in my next posts, but this was too good not to share. Try it -- you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment