Monday, February 18, 2019

CYNTHIA GUFFEY, REST IN PEACE

I was very sad to learn today that Cynthia Guffey passed away in January.  The Worcester Sew and Quilt Expo is taking place in September and I searched Cynthia's name to see if she was teaching at it.  I came across her obituary instead.  She was only 67 years old.

I had the chance to take classes with her on two separate occasions.  She was a magnificent dressmaker, a wonderful teacher, and one of the funniest people I've met, in a very charming, southern way.  She wrote many patterns for elegant jackets, dresses, and skirts.  I made one of her jackets years ago and it was a work of love -- lots of handstitching, a lining that was whipstitched in by hand.  Everything fit together like a puzzle and the result is one of the pieces I'm most proud of, although not the best picture. I love the detail in the belt that slides through a slit in the band.  Those were the kinds of details she was known for.


Cynthia also wrote a number of sewing books, small paperback books, written by hand, with illustrations by her.  She didn't own a serger; she was a believer in hand overcasting, understitching by hand, and all those lovely couture techniques. 

I am sorry not to study with her again, but very grateful that I had the opportunity.  She was one of a kind!


3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog by looking up Cynthia's name. Today I received a box of merchandise her sister is selling to close out Cynthia's estate. I know when I dig into her patterns more it will be bitter sweet. She was so fun, it will be strange going to an Expo without her there. I had "sew" much more to learn from her!

    I will check back to see more of your blog while I am in Corona furlough.

    Colleen Winegar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Colleen, I just heard about Cynthia's death. She was a bright and Shining Star when ever I went to the Sewing Quilt Expo in Tampa. How can I come in contact with her sister to purchase a few items. I know it going to he great. 813 758 9529

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie Pankey is Cynthia's sister who is liquidating the estate. I do not want to put her contact info here, but I believe you will be able to contact her by looking her up on line.

      Delete