Saturday, February 16, 2019

Taking Stock or How Did I Get All This Stuff??

Warning - no pictures! :(

This week I made up a pattern I have been wanting to try as a wearable muslin, using up some fabric that I had to have, but that has been sitting for several years.  I finished the top, hated it, chucked both it and the pattern, with no hard feelings.

But what it made me realize is that I have so many patterns, and so much fabric, and I become so distracted in my sewing, that I find I have lost focus.  I don't know how many others out there share my frustration.  Part of the problem, I know, is that I taught an Open Sew for seven years at a local shop, where I was really the only garment teacher and most of the patterns, fabric, and notions, were non-garment related. But I got distracted! Beautiful fabric and patterns came in daily, and I thought I might like to do a wall hanging, make a quilt, try to force quilting cotton into an acceptable garment!

What really happened is that I stopped sewing what I love, bought too much stuff, and lost myself. Now, it wasn't all bad at all! I met some very creative people. And, I did do some creative things, as you can see if you scroll back and see a wall quilt, a baby quilt, some home dec projects,etc.

That, or course, wasn't the only problem. While trying to clean out my sewing space, I counted close to 12 Style Ark patterns I have never made! They were the new kid on the block and, as usual, I had to have the patterns. Same with Cynthia Guffey. Same with Sewing Workshop. Did I make any of them? One Cynthia Guffey jacket that was so satisfying to make and so beautiful, but that is it.

I don't know if I am the only one out there who gets so distracted by looking at what everyone else does, that I spend my time buying and not doing!  One other thing holding me back, and I am probably not alone, is the pounds that have crept on, and the promise that I will sew when I lose the weight.  Not happening - either the weight loss, or the sewing.

I am trying to recommit, to discover why I want to sew. The fabric, the style, the fit, none of which can be found in the local TJ Maxx! 

So, as we prepare to head to Florida, where I prefer short skirts and tops that skim them, I aim for two skirts, and three tops.  Nothing complicated! But, beautiful fabric that I won't have if I buy disposable clothing for my trip.

I will keep you posted.  If any of you have run into similar roadblocks where you have let yourself be buried, and have come out alive, please share!

Slan




5 comments:

  1. So completely true. In fact, I have accumulated so much "stuff" that I have now have no room to sew. I totally agree with everything you said and more. Although with the weight issue, it's more that I have to keep refitting everything. Good luck to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me too. I need to total refocus session.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just past both of these sewing roadblocks, mostly still alive. The first is of course the excess. When I got back into sewing after about 25 years of a non-creative career, I went a little wild and bought every pattern and fabric that appealed to me. I had no idea about what I would actually make or even what I liked. I just loved what everyone else was making. That continued for 5+ years until I couldn't find anything in the boxes, shelves and piles of stuff in the sewing room. I was starting to re-buy patterns and notions that I already had because they were buried somewhere. About 2 years ago I got a grip and started the process of identifying my style and preferred colors. Then it took me a while to emotionally let go of all the pretty things I knew I would never use. But today I am at the end of selling and donating something like 1500 yards of fabric and 450 patterns. I can see my fabric on a shelf, select a pattern, and immediately start work. So much better.
    The other roadblock is of course the weight change. I was not upset about my weight so much as the fact that clothes I had put a tremendous amount of effort into would no longer fit me. It's not like when you buy something and it's too tight, whether it cost $5 or $500, there is still not the kind of grief and frustration as when you've actually cut and stitched every piece. So I had to actually stop sewing for a year and think about whether it was worth it to keep sewing, and if so, how much. Of course I'm sewing again! But for now I'm keeping it to a minimum, simple garments appropriate for my simple lifestyle. No fancy tailored jackets or cocktail dresses that I risk "growing out of" and I would probably never wear. One thing I don't do: wait to lose weight.
    I apologize for posting the longest response in blog history, but your post really resonated and I thought you might enjoy hearing from someone with a similar story. Enjoy your trip to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your journey! It was very helpful.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for letting me know that it is possible to dig yourself out of this particular hole. You've inspired me to devote an hour or so today to clearing out a bare space while my husband watches the Daytona 500. At least it will be a step in the right direction. Thanks for the inspiration and to Fran for starting this conversation.

    ReplyDelete