Sunday, June 21, 2020

Off The Rails Baby Quilt

This is my second time making a baby quilt based on the Off The Rails pattern by Charlotte Jeffery Abt. This one is done with a jelly roll called Woodland Secrets by Shannon Gillman Orr for Moda Fabrics. Making it with a jelly roll cuts down substantially on the cutting and assures that the fabrics all have similar color ways. Both times I've made it with 6 squares across and 7 squares down, a nice size for putting on the floor for tummy time.

One of the hardest parts in all this for me, is not the sewing, but trying to decide on placement of the squares. I lay them down on a table and rearrange over and over again until I'm happy with the result. I find that taking pictures is very helpful and making choices from the pictures. Somehow taking that step back and looking at it in a photo helps with the perspective. 



Once assembled, I quilted it with a walking foot, doing straight lines, about 1/2 inch apart. I like the contemporary look of straight lines. I know it's not for everyone. I also like my binding to have a graphic feel to it, either dots or stripes, if possible. Fun project. I made a similar one for my grandson and it washed and dried well, many times over.  

If you are looking for guidance on quilting with a walking foot, there is a wonderful book by Jacquie Gering, called Walk, Master Machine Quilting with Your Walking Foot. I highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment