Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Liberty Shirt - Tried and True Pattern

I have made the Liberty Shirt from Sewing Workshop at least four times and I have never been disappointed. The finished product is, I think, much nicer than one would guess from the pattern picture. It is a beautifully drafted pattern with lots of teaching moments and lots of hints (such as having card stock cut in certain widths to use when ironing up hems). The precision of the sewing is important here and adds to the look of the finished piece. But you are well guided with the instructions so that the precision is easy to nail.

An example is here, where instructions are given for an uneven miter. If you do all your pressing and measuring just right, you are rewarded, below.


 

I made this shirt/jacket in a linen cross dye from Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH. I interfaced the collar and the front and back facings. Once finished, I thought the collar and back facing buckled just a little and I wish I had used something much lighter, maybe even organza rather than the iron on that I did use. 

I haven't done buttonholes and buttons yet since, in these Covid times, I am not shopping and I will have to search on line for just the right button. But, honestly, I may go without and just use the front as a place to highlight a special pin. 


I love the asymmetry, the details, and the easy fit. I didn't grab a picture of the sleeve, but it is bracelet length and has a vented opening.



Haven't gotten tired of it yet, and I've actually had to retire a couple of my previous versions since they were made so long ago and were worn so often that they just wore out! So, this will probably be made again. I did notice that I had to tape my pattern instructions where the folds were, which is a good indicator of a much loved pattern!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely jacket, lovely workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new version of the Liberty, also a favorite of mine. The fabric is perfect for a light weight jacket and highlights all the lovely details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha! I know you've made some lovely Liberty Shirts as well. I hope we all get to wear some things we've made one of these days!

      Delete